Alopecia UK

News Media About us

Donate

Getting involvedAbout alopeciaSupport & adviceTreatments & wigsResearchForum

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

This discussion forum has been designed to allow you to connect with others, relieve feelings of isolation, share experiences, chat about day-to-day challenges and learn more about alopecia on a peer-to-peer support level.

My 4 year old son has alopecia

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Scottishkatty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scottishkatty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My 4 year old son has alopecia
    Posted: 04/January/2018 at 12:28am
Hi all,

I am new here and it has taken me a lot of time and courage to finally write in here.

So basically I will begin with why I am here, We live in Glasgow and my 4 year old son has alopecia. It started just over a year ago I would say and it started at the back of his head at the bottom which looked like his hairline at the bottom was loosing hair from the bottom up. At this point we took him to our GP who diagnosed alopecia but said that there’s not much treatment they can do and to wait it out for now.

So we waited a few months and it did seem to slow down but then in October just passed it started to fall out rapidly so we went back to the GP who again stated to keep an eye on it. I done some research and bought multi vitamins, tried black seed oil, caster oil. None of which helpd.

By December it had spread and his sideburns had began disappearing and the crown of his head started loosing hair as well. So back to the GP we went who finally prescribed elocon steroid cream and referred us to dermatology. We also got some minoxidil online to try as the speed it is falling out is rapid.

So here we are in January and he is currently totally got a bald patch at the top of his head at the crown, both sideburns are now gone, the back of his head is almost bald half way up the back from the bottom and there are small patches developing in other parts. I wish I could post a pic to show you.

He is in week 3 of elocon cream to no success so far and almost week 1 of minoxidil. I have also been applying the watermans hair growth shampoo for 2 weeks.

Nothing working so far and we are so worried about what will happen In the coming months. He is due back at nursery tomorrow (well today as having a sleepless night worryig) after the Xmas break and I will have to explain to his teachers as his hair loss is noticeable with the bald patch on his crown which only worsened over last 2 weeks.

His dermatology appointment is next Friday 12th January

That’s my story so far so sorry for going on x
Sponsored Links
False

textaholic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote textaholic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/March/2018 at 9:40pm
Hi 🙂,
How are things going?
How are you and your son doing?

Sarah x
Scottishkatty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scottishkatty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/April/2018 at 11:04pm
Thanks for reply,

Feel a bit at a standstill. I am wondering can alopecia get worse in winter? I feel like my sons hair loss only occurs seasonally from October to March. He is still very patchy but hair loss has almost stopped since. March time. He is currently having pro topic and elecon and has some regrowth of what looks like very fine white hairs and some light brown. But only little parts is doing this. Waiting until June for next appointment with dermatologist! He isn’t concerned but I am worried as he starts primary school in August :( I dont want him to get any issues. He wears a baseball cap most of the time but I find it’s mainly me that puts it on him as people stare at him and kids point when out and about which breaks my heart as he doesn’t recognise his hair loss since he is only 4 and I worry someone will say something to him.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic