Alopecia UK

News Media About us

Donate

Getting involvedAbout alopeciaSupport & adviceTreatments & wigsResearchForum

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

This discussion forum has been designed to allow you to connect with others, relieve feelings of isolation, share experiences, chat about day-to-day challenges and learn more about alopecia on a peer-to-peer support level.

Hello Im new :-)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Blush2783 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blush2783 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hello Im new :-)
    Posted: 12/December/2017 at 8:42pm
Hi everyone, just wanted to say hello and will look forward to getting to know you. I am 45 and in the process of being referred to a dermatologist from my gp. Its been quite a sudden thing. I did notice that since the summer my eye lashes were getting sparse and then more recently my eye brows have been also disappearing but I just put it down to an age thing and it didn't bother me that much but then over last weekend I had a bald spot appear all of a sudden at the front in the middle of my hairline where I had a widows peak and a bit behind that. 

I am pretty sure its alopecia areata, although the gp has sent me for blood tests too, as oddly I have been through this around 11 years ago with my youngest daughter. With her again it happened just over one weekend she had a bald area at the edge of her hairline to the side of her face develop. She was prescribed steroid lotions as she also had diffuse hair loss and although her bald area has never regrown the rest of her hair did eventually thicken again.

Anyway from what I learnt from going though it with her its just a waiting game and it still seems that 11years later there doesn't seem to have been any movement in the treatment available. 

I have had a rather stressful year and also was in hospital with sepsis back in March which is an over reaction of the immune system so I'm wondering if that has triggered it but really who knows.

Anyway, hello!
Sponsored Links
False

Francesca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Francesca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/December/2017 at 3:03pm
Hello Blush,

like you I am also a recent newbie to this forum.

It can become quite stressful when you don't know why this is happening.
Once you get your blood test results, hopefully they may be able to tell you something, but not always! I had blood tests done, which did not show up anything abnormal and have had my follow -up Dermatology appointment. I have been diagnosed with Scarring Alopecia, but at least I now know what I am dealing with here. I had a lot of stress round about the time I noticed a bald patch on my crown, so who knows this may well be the connection.
When you get your dermatology appointment, please let us know how you get on. It is comforting to know you can get support on here from fellow sufferers.
Take care.
Francesca
Pavla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pavla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/December/2017 at 10:57pm
When I took part in the FFA research survey last year (led by Christos Tziotzio at Guys hospital), after my interview I asked the nurse if there was any one thing that linked those she had interviewed.  Stress was her reply...every single person who had been interviewed at Newcastle admitted that they had suffered from a stressful time some time before they first noticed the hairloss.  Stress is part of every day life now, but surely this has always been the case so why is it that it could now be the reason why some, if not most, or even all, who encounter stress are seeing this relatively new reaction from our bodies?  With me, the stress came from both parents being diagnosed with the same terminal illness a few weeks apart, both being given the same amount of time.  I nursed them both at their home until their deaths (with the help of my fab husband).  I have two older brothers who were both very supportive but they were, well, brothers...always there if I asked for help but I'm not the kind of person who asks! :)  Plus one of them lived in Canada.  Then a year after their deaths, my brother was diagnosed with throat cancer.  He survived the most horrendous treatment (kill or cure his consultant told him).  He was cancer free for a year and then my older brother was diagnosed with cancer and sadly died a year later.  It was during the last few months of his life that I first noticed my hair loss.  So yes, I think stress definitely did her dirty work on me! 

Francesca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Francesca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/December/2017 at 3:04pm
Hi Pavla

I am sorry to hear that you have been through so much with family bereavements.  I do wonder whether the stress over time on our bodies just gradually wears down our natural immune system, which in the end decides to give up? Who knows, perhaps we will never find out.
Talking to people on here for me has helped to ease a bit of the stress/upset we are going through.
Thanks for listening and take care.
Francesca
Lynnjane81 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lynnjane81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/December/2017 at 2:45pm
Hi , I just wanted to post to give people some hope. I am 36 and in July I found a significant bald patch which very rapidly spread . I starting wearing bandanas to hide several large patches . I saw my go and was referred to dermatologist and I starting using a steroid cream on the bald spots.I decided to shave my head which may seem drastic but I was focusing so much on hiding the bald spots and it was really upsetting seeing all my hair coming out. So I donated my pony tail to the princess trust .My hair has all started growing back at first it was white but the colour has started coming back .i would post photos but I don't know how to . Sending love to all of you as I know how upsetting it can be xxxx
Pummie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pummie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/December/2017 at 9:54am
Hi,

So sorry to hear about your bereavements, my heartime goes out to you . My hair loss had stopped I was actually in a good place.

Then my dad was diagnosed with terminal cancer mother has kidney failure but my hair was ok and I was coping.

I started using coconut oil at the back end of 2015, I also started laser hair removal beginning of 2016 under my arms. I noticed my hair falling out again but couldn't understand why so I stopped the laser treatment after 7 sessions.

Beginning of 2017 my scalp became very dry I had chunks of dry skin, my hair became dry also I thought it was the shampoo so I stopped using Dr Organics went to see GP who said use coconut oil overnight so I did so.

I stopped using the cocunut oil around October because I think that may have made my hair loss worse.

Back and forth to GP I have since been given Betacap steroid but hair loss is getting worse. GP says its stress which part of it probably is.

I know i would be able to cope so much better if I didn't have to worry about my hair loss

A friends son has just had low level laser treatment for his hair loss which has appeared to work for him, don't know if anyone has tried it.

Its great to hear positive outcome for Lynnjane.

i wish everyone well during this difficult journey......

xx

Edited by Pummie - 22/December/2017 at 10:26am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic