Alopecia UK

News Media About us

Donate

Getting involvedAbout alopeciaSupport & adviceTreatments & wigsResearchForum

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

This discussion forum has been designed to allow you to connect with others, relieve feelings of isolation, share experiences, chat about day-to-day challenges and learn more about alopecia on a peer-to-peer support level.

Rate of progression of hair loss?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Afraid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afraid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rate of progression of hair loss?
    Posted: 26/November/2017 at 9:39pm
How do you know if you have severe or a typical progressive scarring alopecia?
Sponsored Links
False

Afraid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afraid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/December/2017 at 5:52pm
I’m always puzzled by the amount of people viewing posts without making replies. I wonder whether the replies would be too disheartening? Do we only access the site when we are at our most desperate & steer away when things are positive?
2westies View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2westies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/December/2017 at 8:48pm
Hi there Afraid, I am new to the site but have posted about itchy scalp and Pavia very kindly responded to my queries.

Not sure why some posts do not receive responses but I will try and respond from now on. I think we all have different ideas as to how this dreadful disease chooses us and also it is near Christmas and everyone may just be busy,

You asked in one of your posts about the progression/severity. I think I have had this for two years and have lost about 2cms from front hairline and the top of my head has thinned. If you look at me you would think I have a good head of hair but it is nowhere near what it was. I am waiting for a referral to the dermatologist through my GP, but I suspect this will not be until into the new year. I am currently using dermovate lotion, twice a day, and regaine before bed.

When I look at my frontal hair I can see hair growing but the follicle base is risen which I think means itis inflamed and will probably die unless the regaine can strengthen/stimulate it. I am having a bad day with itching not only on my head but my face and ears too. Not sure why this is as the dermovate is supposed to help. I am putting this down to diet as a possible cause, eg pastry, mince pies Greek yoghurt which I have eaten out of politeness!

I am considering following the paleo diet, been reading up about it as I think this is supposed to help the gut which is how autoimmune diseases start, if this is the cause of FFA. Christmas is going to be hard as I love food and cooking.

I am seriously considering going to the Leeds group meeting as there is a talk/ demonstration on hairpieces and wigs should I end up needing one, to plan ahead.

I hope you find my post of interest and help. Please continue to read and post on the forum.
Afraid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afraid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/December/2017 at 9:15pm
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. I really appreciate it. Pavla has also been a lifeline and replied directly a few times. I did find your post interesting and informative about your individual case and progression. My dermatologist prescribed dermovate & I’ve taken Hydroxychloroquine for the past 3 weeks although I realise this takes months to take effect if at all. I have no signs of being less itchy, my scalp less inflamed or hair loss reducing. To hear your description of your scalp and stage is really helpful as the dermatologist seems to offer little information other than to say this is early stages...crikey!! Whilst I seemed paralysed by fear initially now I’m being more proactive and gaining information about wigs and hair systems although like you I can currently ‘hide’ my loss. At times it feels like a slow and painful death. It’s incredible to think how much Hair I’ve lost in total. It has been a standing joke how much hair I’ve had up until now! The first thing I look at when I see someone is their hairline and volume of hair. I’ve become obsessed. When is the Leeds meeting? I’ll look further into the paleo diet too. Thanks again.
2westies View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2westies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/December/2017 at 10:19pm
Thanks for your prompt reply.
You can find the area/groups under support and advice and then groups.
The next meeting is the 15 January 2018. More details under the Leeds group.
If you decide to go let me know through my private contact and I will look out for you there. I have not been to a meeting before.
Regards 2westies.
Pavla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pavla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/December/2017 at 10:04pm
I too am obsessed looking at people's hair, especially their hairline and look on enviously at those who have their hair pulled back in ponytails or piled up on the top of their heads. LOL  I've also noticed, usually while standing in the queue in the supermarket and looking along at the ladies serving, how many of them (around about my age) who have very thin, fine hair more than likely caused through the menopause and I think, at least my hair isn't as bad as that.  And then I realise I haven't gone through the menopause yet so I'll probably end up with no frontal hair and the hair that I have left thinning drastically.  Think I'll go and pour myself another glass of red wine... Big smile
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic