Alopecia UK

News Media About us

Donate

Getting involvedAbout alopeciaSupport & adviceTreatments & wigsResearchForum

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

This discussion forum has been designed to allow you to connect with others, relieve feelings of isolation, share experiences, chat about day-to-day challenges and learn more about alopecia on a peer-to-peer support level.

My experience and response

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Jen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/September/2017 at 2:54pm
What's the update?    Is everything going well still?  
Sponsored Links
False

Guest 2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guest 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/October/2017 at 3:45pm
Hi
Yup, all going well still. I had a couple of small patches of hair loss at the back and though "oh-oh, this is it - it'll all go, now" - but it didn't spread and the patches are filling in with hair again.
My head hair is not thick enough to grow long, and anyway I don't want to tempt fate, so I buzz cut my head every few days. So I look like a "shaved-head guy" and not an "AU guy", which suits me. I shave my face daily - a fairly sparse beard but it's there. Eyebrows sparse but easily noticeable. On lower lids - many fine lashes; scanty fine lashes on upper lids. 
But below my chin: absolutely nothing, not a single hair, nothing on neck/body/armpits/privates. 
Plan:
As well as continuing the ketoconazole shampoo and terbinafine spray, as I describe above, I am going to try using minoxidil 5% mousse because minoxidil has a good track record in promoting hair growth in non-AA/AT/AU people. I reckon if the auto-immune reaction has been switched off by eliminating surface fungal colonisation, minoxidil has at least a chance to work.
Will post progress from time to time. Would be v interested if anyone else tries and succeeds. If it's just me then it's just a fluke.
Guest 2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guest 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/October/2017 at 3:49pm
Scotty, I never had nail fungal infections, but I did suffer with bad dandruff when young. Before the AU struck, the dandruff vanished. Not sure if that is significant, as it is quite subjective. 
I think the nail fungi are different from Alternaria fungi which have been suggested as being part of AA/AT/AU.
Scotty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scotty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/October/2017 at 12:59am
Thanks for the update. I've been AU for 10 years. A little vellus regrowth now and then .... but only whilst on oral prednisone to treat eczema (specifically seborrheic dermatitis ... which is treated with antifungal medication).

As an experiment I'm going to trial with ketoconazole and Lamisil (terbinafine) applied on one of my eyebrows each day for 3 months.

It would be great if you could post pics of your eyebrow regrowth and shaved-buzz look. 
Guest 2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guest 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/October/2017 at 5:22pm
A picture? God no, I'm far too self conscious. I haven't enjoyed having my picture taken for 25 yrs.
I'd suggest use the ketoconazole shampoo and lamisil spray on your whole head, and I guess if nothing by 4 months then forget the whole idea. I find about 1-2 cc of shampoo and 10 spritzes of lamisil does me. So I get through a 100mL bottle of ketoconazole each 2-3 months and a little spray bottle of lamisil about each month, since I use it now and then. All in, it costs me about 30p a day.
Scotty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scotty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/October/2017 at 12:48pm
I was thinking more of a non-revealing close-up .... but I understand your dislike of having your photo taken. I was like that WITH hair ... and then AU came along !

Great - Thanks for tips on ketoconazole & lamisil application. 
Jen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/October/2017 at 4:09pm
Didn't seem to get an email of replies.   I'm interested in the fungal link.  I already had nizoral for scalp, and had a fungal nail infection but that was about two years ago.   

Nearly all my hair has gone, only took two months or so.  
Guest 2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guest 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/January/2018 at 5:58pm
Update from me, coming up to 34 months of my partial regrowth after >20 yrs of AU. 
Situation is stable and partial: I still have sparse eyebrows and eyelashes; about half of my scalp is hairy; I buzz cut each few days, I shave daily though my beard is sparse. A new patch fell out at the back of my head a few months back but it hasn't spread. Not one hair has re-grown below my chin. I continue to use topical ketoconazole and terbinafine as I previously described, and I hope for the best.
Jen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/January/2018 at 6:36pm
You're doing very well.   Good work though, keep it up.    It's a strange thing, this alopecia.   

I don't really think my hair will grow back.  And eyebrows have gone now.   
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic