Alopecia UK

News Media About us

Donate

Getting involvedAbout alopeciaSupport & adviceTreatments & wigsResearchForum

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

This discussion forum has been designed to allow you to connect with others, relieve feelings of isolation, share experiences, chat about day-to-day challenges and learn more about alopecia on a peer-to-peer support level.

Regaine usage

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Charliecc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charliecc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Regaine usage
    Posted: 12/September/2015 at 8:59pm
Hi, I am a newbie to this site, so please be patient with me!

I am hoping to have a hair transplant next year but need to use Regaine to thicken the part where they will take the follicles from in the meantime.

I don't feel that half a capful is enough for my full head so I using it on the back of my head in one session, and then on the top/front (where it is really bad and where the follicles will be replaced) in the other session of the day.

My query is - should I be applying Regaine on the same area of the scalp each time for it to work (its getting into the skin still) , or is it ok how I am doing it so a follicle may only receive direct product once a day?

Many thanks for a great site by the way!

Cheers.
Sponsored Links
False

BeeJay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BeeJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/September/2015 at 8:31am
Hi and welcome

May I ask what kind of hairloss you have?  Its just that my understanding has always been that hair transplants do not work for alopecia patients.  Its because we have lost the instruction on how to grow hair, so putting new hair into the area isn't likely to work, because we still don't have the growing/nuturing instruction so new hair isn't going to be supported. But obviously you need to be advised by someone more knowledgeable, just make sure they don't have pound signs in their eyes.

As for Regaine, I'd used it as advised.  It is one of these products which if it is going to help, actually takes months of use before you likely see any benefit, and in early days you are likely to shed more hair, because of how it works. 
I wish dealing with hairloss was simple, but everything is complicated and full of may be, could do, possibly.

BJ

xsanx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xsanx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/September/2016 at 11:19am
Hi
I am new here too.

I was just wondering what opinions people have regarding Regaine? I have been recommended to start using it by my GP - who has said that there is nothing else that can be done.

Is there anyone out there who has had first hand experience of using it? Is it effective?

Thank you in advance :)
Pavla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pavla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/October/2016 at 8:17pm
I've been using Regaine 5% for over two years.  It is the male version as the female version was only 2% but I believe that he women's version is now 5%. I use this twice a day. I have also been using Dermovate scalp solution, once a day.  For the first year I also received steriod injections into my scalp.  Is it effective?  Well, the whole thing (Regaine, Dermovate and injections) seem to have halted my FFA, or at least slowed it down a lot.  I have one area at my temple where I have lost a little bit more hair but, on the whole I think it has helped.  Yes, you do go through shedding for a period, which is rather worrying, but I think Regaine, as part of the 'three pronged' attack has worked (is working) for me.
Happy days View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Happy days Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/November/2016 at 11:05pm
Hi Pavia. I am new to the forum - diagnosed by a trichologist in May 2015 with FFA and was advised to use Regaine 5% for men. I don't think problem has got worse, but difficult to know with slow progress - I had ignored the sides for a good few years as my hairdresser didn't seem to think it much of a problem when I pointed it out - we could cover it somehow with the style. Then I realised my fringe area was a problem - seemed to be showing more of my forehead, and after a shock/stress with a family member which made all my hair go limp in January 2105 - I visited the trichologist. Anyway the stress related problem was a separate issue which has benefited from supplements but I still get distressed by the FFA and wonder if I should have this confirmed with a dermatologist as this seems to be the advice from ALOPECIA UK - and may give me more options? Grateful for advice from anyone in the forum
Pavla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pavla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/November/2016 at 8:34pm
Hi Happy Days, I saw a Trichologist when I first noticed my hairloss, and while waiting for my appointment from the NHS to come through to see a Dermatologist (referred there by my GP).  Did your Trichologist not advise you to see your GP for a referral to your local hospital/dermatology department?  If not, then please do go and ask for a referral.  They will take a biopsy to confirm things and will then put you on a full treatment schedule.  The most we can hope for is the slowing down of this condition and, hopefully, stopping it getting to the worst case scenario.  Like you, I can cope pretty well with the hairloss at side (around my ears) but my fringe has thinned considerably.  However, those who are unaware of my condition have absolutely no idea that I'm suffering from it.  If it stays this way then that would be great. Good luck. 
Rachie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rachie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/September/2017 at 10:57pm
Hi, I was referred to a dermatologist etc 2 years ago, and had blood tests for auto immunity al, biopsy for scarring and also tried regain. I was finally diagnosed with Androgenetic alopecia, and have been told that this form of alopecia there is nothing that they can do. I hope hair transplant works for you, but I was told it would just fall out of my scalp. I now wear wigs to cover my hair loss
colette2721 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colette2721 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/October/2017 at 9:21pm
hope you do not mind the reply, I am also from the wirral im 31 years ol just started using regaine 4 weeks ago having reactions itching and rashes to the face, ears and neck. i think this is due to putting the minoxodil just before i go to bed (stupid of me) putting it on two hours before putting my head down to sleep now. looking for some advice on this new product if you have any you can share please. thanks
colette
Pavla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pavla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/October/2017 at 9:41pm
Colette...are you using the solution or the foam?  I've always used the foam and never had a reaction to it.  I use it twice a day, in the morning as soon as I get up and at night, any time from 7pm to just before I go to bed (if I've been out of the night).  I'm just wondering if you're using the solution (liquid) and it is running down onto your face/neck whereas the foam is much more manageable and you're able to massage it into the scalp without it going where it shouldn't.
colette2721 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colette2721 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/October/2017 at 9:56pm
YESSS thank you for the reply!!! finally someone in my boat using it too!!!! i am using the foam as well the 5% bought from boots, ive been takin antihistamines too started with reactions only a week ago now. how long have you been using it for pavla? can you tell if it is working for you?

I have seen a dermo twice now, first time told its female balding pattern. been really depressed about it lately so decided i wanted to give this a go, thanks so much for replying!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic